Using a variety of oranges adds weight and depth of flavour to this fruit salad that we really love. Using a good-quality orange olive oil and essential oil will give you a lovely, smooth texture. The strawberry adds a brightness that pairs beautifully with the luxurious syrup. It’s definitely a finger-licking good recipe made with fresh strawberries, which no one can resist with a generous dollop of cream or drizzled over a gorgeous moist, tender cake filled with pieces of juicy fruit.
Preparation time 2 hours
- 1 punnet strawberries, gently washed
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons Azada Olive Oil & Crushed Orange
- 2 drops orange blossom essential oil
- 200 ml of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Orange peel
- Preparing the strawberries. Hull the strawberries and cut into quarters. Sprinkle with the caster sugar and add the balsamic vinegar and Azada’s Olive Oil & Crushed Orange. Stir well. Place in the fridge to macerate for at least 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, to make the orange juice, mix the freshly squeezed orange juice with the orange blossom essential oil. Rest for an hour and then add the mixture to the marinated strawberries. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Finally, just before serving, top the strawberries with the orange peel by running a citrus zester down the length of the orange, removing the rind in long, thin strips or some pouring cream if you are feeling a little naughty.
- If you have extra orange zest, it can be frozen for up to six months. Seal in a zip lock food bag and store in the freezer.
- If you don’t have a citrus zester, carefully slide a small sharp knife between the rind and the pith to seperate. Discard the pith as it can taste quite bitter and slice the rind into long thin strips.