We love easy dinners that can be prepared in less time than it takes to order takeaway. This quick-to-put-together pizza roll recipe is great for the whole family on a movie night and can be made using your favourite toppings from cheese and marinara sauce to black olives. Using yoghurt in the dough gives it a soft, fluffy texture, which is a more interesting variation on the traditional dough ball recipe with garlic butter.
Preparation time 45 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Makes 8-12 rolls
- 3 tablespoons Azada Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic + a little extra
- 280 grams all-purpose/bread mix gluten-free flour + extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (or 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed plus 2 teaspoons water, soak for 15 minutes and you will have a great replacement)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground sea salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 120 grams natural Greek yoghurt, whipped
- 180-235 ml sparkling water
- 70 grams classic pesto
- 70 grams chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
Tomato Bread Preparation:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Generously grease with a few drops of oil or line a standard non-stick round deep baking tin and set it aside.
- Making the tomato bread. In a large bowl, place the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum (or xanthan gum replacement), baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar, and using a spatula mix everything together thoroughly. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add Azada’s Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic and the yoghurt. Mix to make a doughy-batter using a spatula. Add 180 ml of the sparkling water, and continue to mix for about 1 minute until soft to the touch. Transfer the dough to a flat work surface with a light sprinkling of flour and knead the dough for about 3-4 minutes. Divide the dough into 8-12 equal portions.
- Roll the dough onto a lightly-floured surface and place a small dollop of pesto and a couple of mushrooms slices in the centre of each round. Bring the edges up and over the filling, pinching the dough to seal in the filling. Lay the pizza rolls into the prepared baking tin. Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave again for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a handheld whisk, gently mix a generous glug of Azada’s Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic and oregano and set aside.
- Uncover the pizza rolls and brush them with the garlic and oregano oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffed.
If you fancy a bit of chilli, replace the Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic for the Olive Oil & Crushed Chilli and combine it with the dried oregano before placing into the oven to bake.