Packed with aromatic spices, nuts and seasonal apples, there’s a lot to have you springing out of bed in the morning. So let’s be thankful for autumn and go for total indulgence and enjoy this heavenly apple crumble recipe – the choice is yours.
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 25-30 minutes
Serves 4-6 people
Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 900 grams apples, peeled and sliced ½ cm pieces
- 115 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 3 teaspoons balsamic/apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Azada Olive Oil & Crushed Lemon
- 95 grams plain flour (gluten-free equivalent)
- 30 grams rolled oats (gluten-free equivalent)
- 35 grams ground almonds
- 100 grams coconut sugar
- ¾ teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 45 grams sliced almonds/finely chopped hazelnuts
- 50 grams butter, diced
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Warm custard, cream or ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C.
- Making the crumble. Combine the flour, rolled oats, ground almonds, coconut sugar and spices in a bowl. Rub the butter in with your fingertips to form coarse crumbs. Add the almonds/hazelnuts and mix well then chill until ready to bake.
- Preparing the filling. Put the apples, caster sugar, Azada’s Olive Oil & Crusehd Lemon and cornflour in a bowl and toss to combine. Add the balsamic/apple cider vinegar and toss again. Set aside for 15 minutes, stirring often (this allows the flavours to combine and release their juices). Divide the filling between ramekins with all the juices and place spoonfuls of the crumble on top, leaving some of the fruit uncovered. Place on a baking tray and cook in the over for 25-30 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the crumble is deliciously golden.
- When ready to serve, place each ramekin on a plate and dust with icing sugar and a generous serving of warm custard.
- If you want to add additional fruit, only use 500 grams of apple and add 400 grams of frozen berries/rhubarb/bananas.