This simple autumn soup retains its gorgeous vivid green, herby colours and bright fresh flavours. Adding the spinach and herbs at the end of cooking gives this soup a delicious, Mediterranean mingle broth touch.
Preparation time 15-20 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour
Serves 4-6 people
- 50 grams salted butter
- 2 tablespoons Azada Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 waxy/sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 litres good quality vegetable stock
- The zest of 1 lemon
- The juice of 2 lemons
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 150 grams baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Finely ground sea salt and black pepper
- A generous spoonful of sour cream per serving and 2–3 soft-boiled free-range eggs
- Making the soup. Melt the butter and Azada’s Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic oil in a large cast iron saucepan and once warm add the onion, dijon mustard, potatoes, leek, bay leaf and a splash of water. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring and scraping occasionally to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the base. Add the stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Next, add the lemon zest and juice, and simmer for 20–30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and fluffy. Add the herbs and spinach and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- To serve: Ladle the soup into hearty bowls and top each with a generous dollop of sour cream and half a soft-boiled egg. Season with a pinch of sea salt if required.
- This light, fresh soup is great as a light weekday meal when served with the garlicky bruschetta. Heat Azada’s Olive Oil & Crushed Garlic in a large sauté pan, add freshly diced parsley and toss together. Season with sea salt, black pepper and a sprinkle of chilli flakes. Spoon the mixture, over the grilled bread.