Did someone say Chocolate and Ginger Cake with Honeycomb? It’s the perfect cake for any occasion and a favourite that can be tweaked if you fancy making it as a decadent, sticky gluten-free Chocolate and Ginger Cake with Honeycomb. And if you feel even more devilish, why not serve it with extra spoonfuls of softly whipped cream.
Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour 10 minutes + 2 hours resting time
Makes 1 loaf
Gluten-free | Vegetarian
- 250 ml maple syrup
- 120 ml water
- 60 ml Azada Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100 grams soft brown sugar
- The zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 260 grams plain flour (all-purpose gluten-free flour + 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend already contains it))*
- 2 tablespoons good-quality dark cocoa
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
- Butter for greasing
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 75 grams salted butter
- 250 grams dark chocolate (70% cocoa), roughly broken
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 75 ml maple syrup
- 30 ml water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Butter for greasing
- Lightly grease and fully line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan) or 180°C (conventional).
- Preparing the cake. Add the maple syrup, water, Azada’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil, brown sugar, orange zest, vanilla and ginger in a non-stick saucepan over a medium-low heat. Stir to melt the sugar and warm through the wet ingredients then remove from the heat. Set aside to cool for around 15 minutes.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Pour in the cooled syrup mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth, ensuring there are no flour pockets in the batter.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 25 minutes. Carefully remove the loaf tin from the oven and cover with foil to prevent overbrowning. Return the loaf tin to the oven and bake for a further 45 minutes. Set aside to cool in the tin.
- Preparing the chocolate ganache. Heat the whipping cream and butter in a saucepan and when close to boiling, remove it from the heat and stir in the chocolate and stir until it forms a smooth and glossy mixture. Leave at room temperature until the ganache is thick enough to spread over the cake.
- Preparing the honeycomb. Lightly grease a baking tray and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Put the sugar, maple syrup and water in a medium non-stick saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to a medium heat and cook at a steady simmer for 6 minutes. Remove it from the heat and whisk in the baking soda. It will immediately bubble and puff up. Quickly but carefully pour the honeycomb mixture onto the greaseproof paper. Cool at room temperature for two hours until ready to use.
- To serve: Spread the chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and sprinkle it with roughly broken pieces of the honeycomb.
- *1 teaspoon xanthan gum (or 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed plus 2 teaspoons water, soak for 15 minutes and you will have a great replacement).