These Orange and Ricotta Pancakes with Pistachio are tender, fluffy and so delicious, it’s the tastiest gluten-free pancake recipe. It’s ideal for entertaining and your guests will love the light, crisp edge which pairs well with the freshness of the citrus whipped cream and crunch of the pistachios.
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 3-4 minutes (per pancake)
Serves 4-6 people
Gluten-free | Vegetarian
- 120 grams plain flour (gluten-free equivalent)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- A pinch of sea salt
- The zest of 2 oranges
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 125 ml whole milk
- 60 grams ricotta
- 1 tablespoon Azada Olive Oil & Orange
- Unsalted butter, for frying
- 3 heaped tablespoons ground pistachios and whipped cream with a splash of orange juice to serve
- Preparing the pancakes. Sieve the plain flour, baking powder, sea salt and sugar into a large bowl. Add the orange zest, egg yolks, Azada’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and milk to the bowl and mix until smooth and well combined. Fold in the ricotta until it is mixed through using a wooden spoon.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Mix a spoonful of the egg whites into the batter, until it softens and continue the process with the remaining egg whites.
- In a skillet or non-stick frying pan, gently melt a knob of butter over a medium. Place a large spoonful of batter into the pan and cook for approximately 1 ½-2 minutes on each side. (Pancakes are ready to flip when bubbles appear in the batter and the edges begin to set).
- Serve with a generous dollop of whipped cream with a splash of orange juice and a sprinkling of ground pistachio.
Pancakes can be served with almost anything, so why not try Greek yoghurt, runny honey, maple syrup or golden syrup. These pancakes also work fantastically with pomegranate seeds, sliced bananas, fresh berries, grilled stone fruit and cooked apples or pears.