These Spiced Sweet Potato and Chickpea Fritters have a lovely balance of flavour from sweetness, spice and saltiness. Its fresh outer crunch brings a nice texture to a healthy green salad with soft-boiled eggs. If the weather is bright and sunny, why not take these fritters as part of a picnic or packed lunch.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Gluten-free | Vegetarian
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons of chopped basil
- 2 tablespoon of chopped coriander
- The zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup of rice flour or gluten-free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of each of ground cumin and ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of chilli flakes (optional)
- 100 grams feta, crumbled
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon Azada Olive Oil & Lemon
- Soft boiled free range eggs and lamb’s lettuce, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (conventional) 150°C (fan). Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Preparing the fritters. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and roughly mash. Add the grated sweet potato, fresh herbs, lemon zest, garlic, eggs, Azada’s Olive Oil & Lemon and dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Season to taste. Gently fold through the feta and set aside.
- Spoon large spoonfuls of batter onto the baking tray and press down slightly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden in colour. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Preparing the soft-boiled eggs. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Reduce the heat and gently place the eggs into the water using a spoon and boil for 5 minutes. Once cooked, carefully peel the eggs and cut in half.
- Serve the fritters with the eggs and Lamb’s lettuce.
- You can substitute the carrot and sweet potato for pumpkin and spring onion.